Friday, March 29, 2013

Passover 2013

Passover began at sunset on Monday this week. Normally in the past I have posted what my plans for meals were, but this year, I kinda crapped out. Opps.

This year, we haven't been following the rules at all. I'm feeling very sick this week and I just can't make myself do it. I'm living on crackers and soup or cereal for dinner. So instead, this year, I'm hosting our Passover seder not on the first night, not even on the second night, nope, this year due to schedules I'm having sedar on Saturday night. Traditional? Not at all.

For our Passover sedar, like last yearwe will be following very basic rules that fit our family. Our rules include:
  • No pork, shellfish or insects (it's not as if we do anyways, but just sayin).
  • No chametz, which is wheat, barley, spelt, rye and oats that have been mixed with water and allowed to sit for longer than eighteen minutes.
  • No items with yeast or leavened products are allowed.
  • Milk, veggies and fruits are permitted.
  • Eggs and fish that have scales and fins are permitted.
  • Rice, corn, peanuts, legumes, quinoa and all other kitniyot will be eaten.
  • Non-kosher meat will be eaten.
I plan on making a simple menu of matzo ball soup followed by pot roast, baked potatoes, baked squash, green beans, a simple fruit salad and for dessert the flourless chocolate lava cake.

This weekend will be busy, Passover sedar on Saturday and Easter lunch on Sunday at my dad's. Look out in the next few days for follow-up!

No comments: