Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Jewish Quiet Book: Cover and Back Cover

I talked about quiet book basics, planning and supplies and now I'm ready to show off the cover and back of A.'s fabric quiet book.

I brought him to the fabric store and we picked out the cover fabric together. Originally I was thinking a blue cover, as the colors of Israel are blue and white, but I just couldn't find anything that I loved. Then A. said he wanted a pink cover. I said okay and brought him near the pinks and oranges and they had this rainbow fabric in the quilting section. I adored it! It is a bit busy I suppose, but I loved it and A. agreed he liked all the colors on it.

I ended up using felt letters with sticking backing. I found them at Michael's, though I'm sure you could find them other places. They were $4 or $5 bucks for a pack of them but very worth it because cutting out letters is a PITA. I did end up sewing over the letters for stability as I worried that over time they might fall off, even with the sticky backing.

I ended up binding the pages with bias tape. I originally was going to bind it using the pillow case method (sew the wrong sides together, flip out and use the invisible stitch) but I loved the idea of bias tape. I also know that sewing bias tape like I did is not how it's actually used, I know, but I was actually using it simply as a pop of color on the edges. I also figured that if in the future I needed to repair a page, it will be easier to just seam rip out the bias tape then if I sewed or fused the book pages together.
 
Why did I start with the cover and back? They are the simplest! I am by no means a sewer. I fumble my way through sewing so I will not be including how I actually sewed the book, just the layouts and the templates.

If you need some basic brush ups on sewing I highly recommend the following tutorials:
I made each layout and template 7"x9". I figured this would be a good size for A.'s hands. Not huge but not too small that cutting out pieces would be too much of a pain. That being said, I wouldn't make my book any smaller and if A. was younger, I would have made it bigger so the final pieces are larger so there are fewer or no choking hazards.

Each photo is a jpeg format so if you're interested in using these for your own personal use, just right click and save it to your computer. Then add it into a Word document and stretch the graphic to whatever size you want your quiet book to be. Keep in mind that you want your template larger than the finished pieces will be to accommodate trimming and finishing edges!

Also, if you are going to be using a bonding material like Pellon Wonder Under you will need to reverse your templates for those pieces. This step is very important! This is thankfully very easy in Word by using the rotate horizontally tool.

So the cover layout and the template for this one is the one and the same. It is a jpeg format so if you're interested in using it for your own personal use, just right click and save it to your computer. Then add it into a Word document and stretch the graphic to whatever size you want your quiet book to be.


Up next, the inside pages!

1 comment:

Prachi Lustgarten said...

Hi, I was wondering if you started/finished this yet. I just came across these and would love to make one, jewish as well, for my son who is 18 months. Same idea - something for temple. Id love to see your ideas, for personal use only! Ive only found a handful of pages and the others I'm trying to figure out as i go through the year. I love your blog!! I've been reading it all day now!