Sunday, November 4, 2012

Hanukkah 2012: Latke round up

I know I said I was going to follow a schedule... and maybe I will again after the holidays, but for the next little bit, what with the holidays and all, I'm just going to post randomly.
 
So I know that Thanksgiving hasn't even come or gone yet, but I'm not in charge this year so I'm already planning Hannukah. As you may know, Hanukkah is the celebration of lights and lasts for 8 days. It is actually a minor holiday in the overall picture of things but who doesn't love a holiday filled with candle lighting, fried foods and gambling?

This year, Hannukah starts on December 8 and lasts until the 16th. From the end of Hannukah this then gives me 3 days until A.'s birthday, 9 days till Christmas and 13 days till our five year wedding anniversary. Clearly we don't believe in spacing holiday or life events outs.

We are still figuring out how we celebrate Hannukah. It sounds silly. I mean, we light candles and say blessings, but what we do each of the 8 days, I'm still working on. So far what we have done in the past is, the first day we light candles and eat latkes for sure. The nights between, just light candles. And the last day we light candles and make jelly doughnuts called sufganiyot or ponchkes in Yiddish (my Catholic friends also use these to celebrate Fat Tuesday, yum!).

So with so many ideas to choose from, I thought I would round up some savory and sweet latke ideas to try this year. I don't know how many will actually be made or how they will turn out, but I can't wait to fry up some next month!
 
Potato latkes
I figured we should start with the basics. I love this website, Smitten Kitchen, and you'll see a few of her recipes show up on this round-up. She has fantastic recipes and her overview on latkes is a great place to start when making them!
 
 
Cheesy Sweet Potatoe Pancakes
I didn't use to like sweet potatoes but now I can't get enough of them! Just the idea of sweet potatoes fried up sounds so yummy I'm glad I don't have in the house!

Apple Latkes
So these are obvouisly on the sweet side of latkes, but the idea is fantastic. I think out of all of the latkes, A. would like these the best.
 
Butternut squash potato cakes
The boys really like butternut squash, I'm getting use to it. This might be a good way to ease into butternut squash.
 
So I think these look amazing and would probably fantastic with cheese sauce on top. I'm not sure anyone else would eat them, but perhaps I could make just one or two for myself to try out.

Cheese Latkes
I honestly had never even thought of this version. However, The Shiksa in the Kitchen explains exactly why these cheese latkes fit. I think I will personally skip the story for now for A. but they do sound yummy!
 
Mashed Potatoe Pancakes
My Mom reckonized these right away and said she grew up eating these. Essentially, instead of grating the potato like you do for latkes, you instead just used mashed up potatoes. I wonder if they could still be counted as latkes? Either way, they look yummy!

Zucchini fritters
I personally like zucchini but my father-in-law hates, hates, it and and I'm sure only myself, My Mom and my mother-in-law might try these. Everyone else would find a way to have no room left on their plates for these!

I am not a huge fan of carrots but even this one looks tasty! The carrot adds a nice color to it as well.

They all look so yummy, can't wait to start making some of these!

No comments: