Saturday, September 15, 2012

Still love my 90's music

I have this thing where I get obsessed with one or two songs and play them on repeat, over and over again, until The Husband asks if I'm not sick of that song yet. Which is his nice way of saying he is sicking of hearing it.

What song am I currently obsessing about? Oh good old 90's Nirvana songs. In this case, Plateau which was actually a cover song. The song is one that was originally done by the Meat Puppets. I prefer Nirvana's cover.

 


I've always liked Nirvana but I am not what I would consider hard-core by any means. I like what I like from them and that's it. I can't rattle of facts left and center but have watched my fair share of documentaries on Kurt.

I remember the first time I saw Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. It was when it first showed up on Beavis and Butt Head. You see, I had a tv in my bedroom when I was 8, one I was not allowed to watch MTV on. So what would I do? I would sit with the sound almost all the way down and watch MTV. Back when they played music.

I remember watching the episode which apparently appeared in 1993 titled, Customer's Suck (thanks Wikipedia!), where they aired Smells like teen spirit. I do not remember being in aw or anything like that. No, instead I remember being confused as an 8 year old why the cheerleaders looked sad compared to what I thought most cheerleaders looked like. I do remember liking the song though.

But it wouldn't be until I was about 13 that I would actually have any of their music. I was also heavily into KoRn, Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson and Godsmack as well. Let's just say I never went through a boy band phase.

So now, when I'm at work or even at home, I'm still always drawn back to the 90's. I asked My Dad once about this and he is the same way. Even though he likes newer music he always prefers the music he first started listening to. My Dad has always been obsessed with music, one of my first memories is singing in the back of My Dad's car at 5 to Queen, Kiss, Meatloaf, Pink Floyd and Alice Cooper. Maybe that's where I get it from.

No comments: