Sunday, April 8, 2012

Rocking Easter and Passover in one weekend

Getting sick of hearing about holidays yet? Sorry. If you are check back next week after Saturday when Passover ends but until then or probably after, I'll be writing about everything Passover and even a little about Easter. I probably should have warned of that last week.

Anywho, so I've mentioned before that I belong to an interfaith marriage which obviously means I belong to an interfaith family, on both sides. So where does everyone sit?
  • Me: working on converting to Judaism
  • The Husband: agnostic and not searching for anymore meaning or answers
  • A.: will be raised Jewish
  • My Mom (Nana): Christian Reformed
  • My Brother (Uncle): Christian Reformed
  • My Sister-in-Law (Aunt J): Christian Reformed
  • My Dad (Grandpa) and his Wife's family: Catholic
  • My Mother-in-law (Ya Ya): Protestant
  • My Father-in-law (Pop Pop): Catholic
  • My Sister-in-law (Auntie): agnostic but tends to lean towards nature based
So, there you have it. For the most part we are an interfaith Christian, Catholic, agnostic, working on being Jewish, family. How does that work then when you have two very important holidays overlap? Easy if you're us.


We, as A.'s parents, celebrate the Jewish holiday's at home. Everyone is invited and those who wish to come do, those who don't, no big deal. I usually have to explain why a holiday is important or recap a story, but everyone is very supportive. They love us, they love A. and while I know it makes some of them uncomfortable, they handle it well.


Then we go to the grandparent's homes for Christian based holidays. A. participates in the secular parts of the holidays and if there is prayer, we simply listen quietly. This weekend for example A. did an Easter egg hunt at Ya Ya and Pop Pop's.

He had a blast searching for the eggs.

Once he understood what he was looking for he ran around screaming in the back yard every time he found one.

We then flew kites and spent some time just hanging out and joking.

For now, it works in our family. I want A. to grow up knowing that religion is deeply personal and that there is no right answer or only one correct religion. That the great part of religion is figuring out what it means to you, if it means anything to you at all. I want him to understand that just because his beliefs are different from other people's beliefs and vise versa, it's okay. In fact, it's great.

No comments: