Sunday, April 8, 2012

Flourless Chocolate Lava Cake

Passover started last night at sun down and it went great. My Mom, My Brother and his wife, came over to help us celebrate by coming over for a quick seder. I appreciate that they came over, specially My Brother and his wife because I know they are fairly uncomfortable with the whole, I'm trying to convert to being a Jew, thing. They are fairly active at their Christian Reformed church, with My Brother handling the sound and his wife who is firm in her beliefs. But in the end, good food, wine, retelling of an important to us all Biblical story and time with their family, won them over.

The meal went off great and while originally I was going to start by sharing the pot roast, the dessert was so freaking good, I'm going to skip right too it. Make this dessert. Jewish, Christian, nothing at all, your own creation, who cares. This flourless chocolate lava cake from Zoe Bakes is the best chocolate cake I have ever had. It is so delicious that I wanted to lick the plate. The Husband even said it should show up every year for seder.


Flourless Chocolate Lava Cake
This recipe is super quick and easy with very few ingredients but looks super impressive. The original recipe said to use ramekins but being honest with myself, I knew I would just end up eating two of those so I just decided to use souffles instead and pretend I was only eating one serving. It made 6 souffles and they popped out very easily, though if you had enough for each person, they would look adorable served right in the souffle cup.

Ingredients
10 oz of bittersweet chocolate chips
10 tablespoons of salted butter
1/4 cup of cocoa powder

6 large egg whites
1/4 cup sugar

extra chocolate chips, enough for filling for each cake

fresh berries, like raspberries or black berries
powdered sugar

Directions
Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips until they are smooth. Add in your butter and cocoa powder until smooth.

Using a wisk attachment, beat the egg whites until they become foamy. Slowly add in the sugar and beat on medium until the mixture has soft peaks (it will resemble whip cream).

Slowly combine the two together.

Butter the souffle cups and coat in sugar. Spoon mixture into cups.

Bake for 8 minutes at 425 degrees.

Take out and insert the extra chocolate chips into the center of the cakes. Return to the oven for 2 minutes. 

Top with fresh berries and powdered sugar. Serve either on plates or straight from the souffle cups.

No comments: