Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pineapple Salsa

The other night I hosted book club. I love book club. Not because of the books. I honestly didn't even read this month's book club, Cutting for Stone, I just couldn't get past the second chapter though it was agreed on at book club that it picks up around page 200. No, the reason why I love book club is the girls. I have known them all forever or you know, since elementary, middle and high school.

Book club is also about food. And wine. Always the wine. So with the hot weather and white wine to plan around, I figured I should stick with light and fresh foods. One of the appetizers I settled on was a pineapple salsa served with tortilla chips. It was light and refreshing and all the girls loved it. I adapted it from My Little Celebration by changing the ratios of the ingredients, switching out the parsley for cilantro and omitting the jalapeno because simply, I don't like jalapenos.

The picture is all weird and honestly I was already through my first glass of wine when I snapped this and that's all I had left, a cup or so, the day after, it's that good. In fact, I've made it already a second time and have ingredients on this weeks grocery list to make it a third time.


Pineapple Salsa
I made this salsa the night before and like most foods, tasted so much better than when I first made it. If you have time, let it sit at least for a few hours just watch the acid levels as they can go all nutso if you add too much tomato or lemon. If it gets too acidic dump some of the juice out and add a bit of sugar to it.

Ingredients
1 whole cored fresh pineapple plus the juice
3 small, on the vine tomatoes
1/4 of a large red onion
1 handful of cilantro
1/2 small lemon, juiced
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Chop all ingredients into whatever size you like, mix together and serve!

No comments: