Saturday, July 23, 2011

A New Job

I'm not gonna even try to contain my excitement and dance around to get to the point of this post, so here it is. I have a new job!!!

But wait? Didn't I just announce I had a new job? Yup, I did. But that is now my old, new job. It um, sucked. What I thought would be okay and that I could handle because I'm an adult who needs to help pay the bills dragged on and on. And it was only two months. I have no idea how The Husband has made mirrors for four and a half years. It seems not to bother him as much as it did me. But for me, working on a line where I don't get to talk to people a lot is horrible. Down right horrible.

Which is why I am so excited to tell everyone I know that I run into that after a five month process of waiting and waiting some more, I accepted a position with the state as an assistance payments worker where I will work in at one of the local counties Department of Human Services (DHS). What is an assistance payments worker? Well first off, I'm not a social worker. Nope. When people need help with food assistance, medicaid or other state benefits they are assigned to an assistance payment worker. The payments worker then maintains and updates the case file as necessary.

I am so thrilled to have been given this opportunity and while this was never on my short list of careers I considered, I feel deeply that this is a good match for me. I think that it will be very rewarding, helping individuals help themselves become self sufficient again. I also think it will cause me to cry in my car at times because of how frustrating the job will be.

I start on Monday and am as nervous as I was starting middle and high school. In fact, it even mirrors starting school. I've been shopping for new clothes (grown up ones of course), office supplies (I need fun colored pens, blue will not do, I require purple) and even got my hair cut and highlighted. I want to fit in. I want to look like I belong. I want the other people to like me. In fact, it is like school. Only now if I flunk at this I get fired versus repeating a class. Yikes!

Overall though I feel extremely excited and can't to start Monday. I get my own cubicle, my own phone number with an extension and voice mail, my own business card and a name plaque thingy for my desk. I'm such a nerd to be so excited but really, I'm so freaking excited!

3 comments:

Sarah Ray said...

way to go steph!

Sarah Rozeboom said...

SO EXCITED FOR YOU! You sound like such a professional and I think we need to have a playdate with or without kids HAH! so we can catch up on each others lives!

Stephanie said...

Thanks guys! I'm really excited :)

And yes we do need to get together for a playdate, with or without the kids!