Thursday, June 23, 2011

Boston Cream Pie and a Birthday

I'm not sure about you, but in our family if it's your birthday, you get to pick any kind of dessert you want. I always pick my mom's chocolate cheese cake, my brother always picks my mom's german chocolate cake and my mom changes her mind every year but usually something chocolate and mint (last year I made her mint brownies). The Husband this year picked Boston Cream Pie for his birthday yesterday. I have no idea why. He has never voiced an interest in it before now but it's his birthday, so Boston Cream Pie it is.

So I decided to search the internet because I have no idea what I'm doing making a cake from scratch as I've only ever done it twice. Turns out there are tons of ways and variations to make a Boston Cream Pie. So I decided to make the cake using yellow cake, vanilla custard and chocolate ganache. Sounds yummy to me! The yellow cake recipe comes from The Kitchen, the vanilla custard comes from Epicurious and the chocolate ganache also comes from The Kitchen.



Boston Cream Pie

Yellow Cake

1/2 cup butter, softned
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees while the butter softens. Grease the bottom of your pans. Mix all the ingredients, in the order they are listed, making sure to combine each ingredient thoroughly. Pour into pans and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and middle of cake springs back when touched. Allow cakes to cool completely.


Vanilla Custard

3 cups whole milk
8 large egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk together yolks, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a heatproof bowl until smooth. Then heat the milk in a sauce pan over low to medium heat until hot, but not boiling. Slowly add the hot milk to the mixture, whisking constantly. Tranfer the mixture to a saucepan and heat over low to medium heat until the mixture begins to thicken, approximately 6-10 minutes or it registers 170 degrees on an instant read thermometer. Immediately take the mixture off the heat and push the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve. Add the butter and and the vanilla. Chill the custard until cold and thickened, approximately 3 hours.

Chocolate Ganche

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, semi-sweet
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Pour the chocolate chips into a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it begins to simmer and bubbles begin to form around the edges. Pour the cream over the chocolate chips and let sit for five minutes. Stir to combine. Pour over cake.

Final Assembly

If your cakes need evening out, even them out with a knife. Then layer the cake with cake on bottom, custard in the middle, another layer of cake and then smother it in ganache. Enjoy!

My Thoughts: This cake smelled so yummy while it was baking. I wanted to eat it piping hot right out of the oven and the liquid ganache, I wanted to go swiming in it. For someone who doesn't even really like regular cakes, I thought this one was pretty good. Kinda like a long john, just in cake form. The Husband and A. liked it too.

I would make this cake again, if requested, not just because though. It has nothing to do with the cake, it was fine, I just don't like yellow cake. I might try it again, but with chocolate cake instead and a different flavored custard.

No comments: