Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cold-brewed Iced Coffee

When talk show hosts and financial gurus use to advise people to stop buying $4 coffees every day in order to save hundreds a year, I use to wonder, who would pay that much for coffee? Plus, gross, it isn't even that good. Until a few years ago when I had my first iced coffee and was hooked. It has become an expensive habit, one I try to be very good about by only allowing myself to buy one once a week but find myself craving it every day. Multiple times a day.

But in an attempt to save money I decided to search out a recipe to make it at home. I figured, it couldn't be that hard and would save me oodles of money. The great thing is, the recipe isn't even a recipe, it's coffee and water. Simple. The ratio however comes originally from The New York Times but I prefer Smitten Kitchen's pictures. Very beautiful. The only down fall? Besides that it isn't pretty when it's being made is now I drink gallons of this stuff. Gallons.


See? Not very appealing. But I promise, it turns into this...



Iced Coffee

2/3 cup coffee grounds
3 cups water

1 quart sized mason jar


Pour coffee grounds and then water into the mason jar. Screw on top and shake. Place mason jar in fridge overnight or longer for stronger flavor. Periodically shake the mason jar throughout the day.

Once the mixture has sat overnight, strain the mixture using a coffee pot. Assemble coffee pot like normal, with caraffe and filter in place. Slowly pour mixture through filter. Disgard grounds.

Mix with milk or creamer or however you like to make your coffee. Top with whip cream and chocolate sauce (I would say this is optional but you really should just do it).


My Thoughts: Out of pure lazyness of not wanting to clean my mixing cup, I grabbed a mason jar and discovered that it is the perfect size for a double portion of the original recipe. I just fill the coffee to past the first mark and then pour water in till it's almost full. No real measuring required and no extra things to wash.

I also think everyone else is making the straining part too complicated. I decided after trying to strain it the way it suggested the first time and determining that took too much effort, I was going to use my coffee pot. It works perfectly and is a lot less messy. By far this is one of my favorite "recipes" ever.

No comments: