Monday, April 25, 2011

Matzo Crack

At first it seems like an easy feat, removing all chametz from one's diet. It's only a week. But this leaves very few sweets and while I'm not normally one who keeps sweets in the house because of the simple fact that I will eat them. At 2AM. But knowing that I can't just dig a spoon into one of the best ice creams ever, Edy's Girl Scout Samoas Cookie, which is currently chilling out in my Mom's freezer, leaves me looking through my cupboards wondering what I can snack on. Um.



Not much. See that cupboard? That's kinda what I have to work with plus the stuff in the fridge, which is mainly fruit, butter and cheeses. And if we weren't eating corn or rice this week it would be about half as much as that even. So what is one to make? Matzo crack! Or also known as Matzo toffee. This recipe can be found in a lot of places but I followed Marci Gilbert's Blog for her recipe for Matzo Toffee. It seemed the simplest to follow, I only altered a few steps, mainly the order, because I was scared I'd burn the brown sugar and butter mixture. I also increased the chocolate. Always increase the chocolate.



Matzo Toffee

6 squares of matzo
2 sticks of butter
1 cup brown sugar
3 cups chocolate
1 cup finely chopped nuts (or other topping)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. While the oven is preheating, make a foil liner with a lip for cookie sheets (I needed two cookies sheets) and spray it with cooking spray. Take your matzo lay it on the tin foil in one layer, making sure to fill all gaps tightly.

In a small saucepan melt the butter and the brown sugar together. Bring the mixture up to a rapid boil and boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir the mixture constantly. Remove from the heat before it turns a dark brown.

Once the mixture is melted and thickened, spread over the matzo using a spatula sprayed in cooking spray. Bake for 4 minutes in the oven.

Take the matzo out of the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips generously over the matzo. The chocolate chips should melt because of the heat but use the spatula to help spread them. Then sprinkle the chopped nuts (I used cashews) and press into the chocolate. Freeze until hardened and then serve.


My thoughts

I was super intimidated for some reason to make the butter and brown sugar mixture. I almost skipped the recipe because of this. But I got super lucky and it turned out faaantastic. Even my mom said I had the best luck/skill and she hasn't even ever had toffee set up that nicely. I was very proud.

I think the best piece of advice I can give is keep stirring the mixture constantly. It will kinda get fluffy, for lack of a better description, and turn a carmel color. Keep stirring it away from the sides of the pan or it may burn quicker. The mixture will be done right before it turns a darker brown color. I almost ruined the toffee by letting it burn but pulled it off the burner just in time and quickly poured it over the matzo. If I had burned it I would have just had to start over.

In the end though, it really is tasty. I brought some to work and one of my coworkers declared it one of the best treats he had eaten recently. I will definitely be making this again next year!

No comments: