Friday, February 25, 2011

This is Why I'm Fat

So at work we have this exercise book with some skinny bitch lady on the cover with intense abs and muscles I didn't know a body could have, that states boldly



Now I don't know about you, but I know why I'm fat. It's really simple. And this isn't one of those situations by the way, where I truly am skinny, I'm just a bitch about it and claim I'm not. No. I'm fat. See?



Yeah, fat. Anyways... the reason why I'm fat and why I won't be reading that book (even if it could change my life, meh) is because I 1.) don't exercise, like ever, unless you counting getting A. dressed and 2.) I eat whatever I want, when I want, cause I want to. Yup, that's why I'm fat. See? Simple.

So instead of reading books about how to stop being fat or improve myself in any sort of any real way, I've been reading these books instead...



Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls is faaantastic. It's the story of her grandmother who is a horse wrangler, school teacher and a strong willed, fiercely independent woman. The book chronicles her life from a young girl till a grandmother in the early 19th century. It's similar in tone, but different from her first book, The Glass Castle, which I read for book club but is still fantastic. It's a quick read, flows easily and makes me hope she's writing a third book. Then the book I'm reading now...



Room by Emma Donoghue which was last month's book club book that I never got around to reading till now. The story is told through Jack's 5 year old view point of living in one room, the room his mother (Ma) has been a prisioner of since being kidnapped seven years earlier. Room is a wonderful read in the fact that I find is sticking with me hours after I finish reading a portion. I can't wait to see how it ends.

After Room I'm considering trying to squeeze in a few books before April's book club book is selected (March's book is an upbeat love story I haven't picked up yet and may not, I'll see). I'm thinking about The Invisible Wall by Harry Bernstein which from the reading the back of the book and the first chapter quickly seems to be a story about a neighborhood divided literally down the road of Christians and Jews. The story follows one Jewish family whose daughter falls in love with a Christian and the impact it has on the youngest child boy who finds out about the secret relationship.


Or Look Again by Lisa Scottoline which is the story of a mom whose adoptive son looks identical to a missing boy's picture and the journey it takes her on when she begins investigating his adoption.



And lastly The Murderer's Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers which is a story about two sisters whose father murdered their mother and attempted to kill them and the aftermath it has on them.



Clearly, I enjoy stories where the individuals, whether real or fiction, have less than normal lives. It's probably because it reminds me that while life is crazy, it's not that crazy. Thankfully.

I do love book club. Well, all two times I've went. Mainly it's just an excuse to get together once a month with the sweetest girls I have ever known from school all the way back to first grade, talk about a book for thirty seconds and eat good food. I also like it because it makes me feel sophisticated and grown-up saying I belong to a book club. Plus it makes me feel less lame thinking that I might actually have a hobby normal grown-ups have versus my actual hobbies which consist of wrangling with a toddler all day.

No comments: